That question is the most commonly asked question by a receptionist or a PA when a telemarketing agent calls to speak to a senior member of management…usually the Managing Director or the Finance Director. Not always though, it depends on the campaign, the less senior, the easier it is to get through, but even then, you may need try calling several times.
A receptionist or a PA has a job to do. His or her boss will have given instructions such as whether or at what time of the day he will take calls or from what type of company or who from. If you run an SEO agency and he doesn’t want to speak to SEO agencies, she will not put you through.
Despite what you might have been told, there are no special tricks or methods in getting past a ” gatekeeper “. Here a few of the silliest ones.
- Making out that you know him
- Demanding you get put through as he will know you
- Saying it is private or personal
- Chatting her up
Using any of the above is unprofessional and most likely wont work. So here are the right things to say.
- Your name and where you are from
- A brief reason for your call …..eg “I would like to speak to him about an email I sent”
- Ask if she would put you through – or if he is unavailable, when is the best time to call back
- Be polite, be brief, be professional
- If you don’t get through this time, go on to your next call and try again another time
The most important thing to do is to practice. The more calls you make, the more confident you will sound, the better you will get and the more likely you are to be put through to the person you want to speak to.
Please let me know how you get on by leaving a comment or follow to get regular emails.