It is a commonly held assumption ( an incorrect one) that the person who picks up the phone when you ring, is not an important person within that organization.
When I say important – I mean that they are ” just the receptionist ” Most of the the time the phone will be answered by a woman – inexperienced telemarketers or ones who should know better quite often will be abrupt or evasive because they they think she is ” just the receptionist ” Here is who she could be ……..
- The MD or CEO …. just walking past the desk and decides to answer the phone
- The FD or Company Secretary …….same as above
- The General Manager…..same as above
- The PA ……( doesn’t bear thinking about )
- The Office Manager……as above
- The Production Manager….
- The Sales Director….or any senior position in that company
Or the person who answers the phone could be……
- The Md’s Wife
- His Sister
- His Mother
- His Aunty
- Her Husband
- Her Brother
- Her uncle
- Or any other relation
Or she or he could be the receptionist……
How do you know ? The short answer is you don’t. Treat every one who answers the phone with courtesy and respect, they ALL deserve it to be spoken to professionally and don’t assume anything.